Thursday, October 9, 2008
hi
hi. today was a wilderness awareness day, and i got a coal for the very first time with my bowdrill kit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^) it is very hard to do, and the only reason that I wasnt able to do it before was because of a flaw in my form. With the help of an apprentice instructor, i overcame this impediment and made my very first coal. i then placed the little ember into a tinder bundle that I had made by scraping a piece of cedar bark with obsidian, and blew it into flame! i put it in the fire, and watched my coal burn the bark into wisps of ash. it was one of the happiest moments of my life. now that i have a coal under my belt, i am very excited to try out my new skills whenever I can. in fact, I may go and do it right now!